Green Roof Professional (GRP) accreditation is North America's leading form of distinction for individuals who design, install, and maintain green roofs, as well as those who participate in the industry in another capacity.
The designation was introduced by Green Roofs for Healthy Cities (GRHC) in 2009 to:
- Enable professionals to differentiate themselves in the marketplace.
- Establish a high level of professionalism and improved multidisciplinary collaboration.
- Increase customer confidence in green roof technology.
- Help protect public health, safety and welfare.
- Result in better green roof design and installation practices.
- Protecting the industry from project failures that result from inappropriate design, installation and maintenance practices.
The GRP body of knowledge is contained in three full-day courses: Green Roof Design and Installation, Green Roof Waterproofing and Drainage, and Green Roof Plants and Growing Media. These courses offer participants from a diverse range of disciplines the knowledge and skills required to successfully market, design, budget, install and maintain green roofs. The reference manuals that accompany these courses are the recommended study materials for the GRP accreditation exam.
The accredited Green Roof Professional is an integrator, someone who is able to manage a project through the design and construction phases. This is someone who has a general understanding of what the industry refers to as the “black” arts and “green” arts - the living and non-living elements that must come together to result in a successful green roof. The GRP’s role is to:
- Identify and pull everyone on the team together.
- Function as a team leader for the green roof portion of a project.
- Understand the different options for green roof design and implementation.
- Maximize the benefits of green roofs during the design process (e.g., by identifying opportunities for integration with other building systems).
- Understand the major challenges in implementing green roofs and the best practices associated with design and installation.
"The GRP accreditation program stands out as one of the most comprehensive and intelligently designed sustainability training courses I have taken. GRP accreditation gives my organization the knowledge and credibility to guide our clients through the benefits and proper implementation of a successful green roof."
Co-owner, Ncompass Construction LLC
Over 700 professionals from a wide variety of disciplines have earned the designation to date, including architects, landscape architects, landscape designers, engineers, contractors, horticulturalists, manufacturers, and roofing consultants to name a few.
Questions? See the GRP Accreditation FAQ.